I am pro-life. I believe that life begins at conception and every life has a soul. I also believe in traditional marriage between a man and a woman.
In Congress, I have stood up in defense of life and traditional marriage. As long as I am blessed to serve in Congress, I will continue to do so. My first legislative act was to introduce the Taxpayer Protection Act, a piece of legislation, which would require states to report any funds they received through Medicaid and spent on organizations that perform, promote, or refer for abortion services.
Early in 2009, I was privileged to have several of my House colleagues join me in requesting a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on the amount of tax dollars that have been spent on organizations that promote or perform abortions. In May, I received the report, which outlines that close to $1 billion in federal taxpayer funding were spent over the period of 2000-2008.
A majority of Americans oppose taxpayer funding for groups that promote or perform abortions. With the national debt over $14 trillion - we must apply strict scrutiny to every federal dollar allocated. Since coming to Congress, I have fought against unnecessary and excessive government spending in all areas.
Olson Family Values Op/Eds:
Why I Ran For Congress - South Belt-Ellington Leader 9/9/2010
Family Values Bills Supported by Rep. Olson:
1. H.R. 217: Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act
2. H.R. 61: Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act
3. H.R.732: Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act
4. H.RES.72: Supporting the goals and ideals of the Secondary School Student Athletes' Bill of Rights.
Sponsor: Rep Gerlach, Jim [R-PA-6] (introduced 2/15/2013) Cosponsors: 20
5. . H.RES.24: Expressing the deep disappointment of the House of Representatives in the enactment by the Russia Government of a law ending inter-country adoptions of Russian children by United States citizens and urging the Russia Government to reconsider the law and prioritize the processing of inter-country adoptions involving parentless Russian children who were already matched with United States families before the enactment of the law.
6. H.R. 1122: PRO-LIFE Act
7. H.R.1797: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act
Sponsor: Rep Franks, Trent [R-AZ-8] (introduced 4/26/2013) Cosponsors: 184
8. H.RES.250: Expressing support for prayer at school board meetings.
Sponsor: Rep Walberg, Tim [R-MI-7] (introduced 6/6/2013) Cosponsors: 55
9. H.R.2993: Taxpayer Conscience Protection Act of 2013
Sponsor: Rep Olson, Pete [R-TX-22] (introduced 8/2/2013) Cosponsors: (none)