Olson Acts to Dismantle Obamacare and Defund Planned Parenthood
Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX) today acted to protect Americans from Obamacare mandates and protect the unborn by blocking federal funds from being sent to Planned Parenthood. Olson voted for H.R. 3762, the Restoring Americansâ€™ Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act. This bill dismantles Obamacare, prohibits federal funding for particular abortion providers, such as Planned Parenthood, and invests in womenâ€™s healthcare. The Senate expanded the scope of the House-passed reconciliation bill by also repealing the Obamacare coverage subsidies, tax credits, the Medicaid expansion in 2018, and the majority of the Obamacare taxes in 2016. This is the first time that an Obamacare repeal bill will be sent to the presidentâ€™s desk. H.R. 3762 was passed in the Senate by a vote of 52 to 47 and today passed the House by a vote of 240 - 181.
â€œAmericans are being crushed under the weight of Obamacareâ€™s failures while the sanctity of life is under attack Rep. Pete Olson said. â€œItâ€™s past time to rein in President Obamaâ€™s failed leadership and executive overreach. For the first time, Congress has sent a strong message to the president that we hear the American people crying for relief from Obamacare mandates that reduce access to care and take more money from family households. We also acted to protect the unborn and enhance healthcare for women by blocking federal funding to abortion clinics like Planned Parenthood. While the president has promised to veto this bill, he must answer to the American people directly impacted by his failed policies.â€
Highlights of Restoring Americansâ€™ Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act:
- Eliminates the Individual Mandate penalty tax effective retroactively January 1, 2015
- Eliminates the Employer Mandate penalty tax effective retroactively January 1, 2015
- The premium assistance tax credit and cost sharing subsidies are repealed beginning in 2018
- The Medicaid expansion provisions are repealed beginning in 2018
- Repeals all Obamacare taxes including:
- 40 percent Excise Tax on High Cost Health Plans (so-called Cadillac Tax)
- Medical Device Tax
- Health insurance Tax
- 0.9 percent payroll tax on wages and self-income and the 3.8 percent tax on dividends, capital gains and other investment income
- Prohibition on using FSA or HSA funds to purchase over-the counter (OTC) medications
- Indoor tanning tax
- Annual fee on manufacturers and importers of brand name prescription drugs
- Repeals the Prevention and Public Health Fund (Obamacare Slush Fund)
- Repeals the transitional reinsurance program
- Provides for a one-year moratorium on all federal mandatory funding to nonprofit providers of elective abortion services that receive more than $350 million in federal funding, including Planned Parenthood.
Invest in Womenâ€™s Healthcare
- The bill authorizes and appropriates $235,000,000 for the community health center program in each FY 2016 and FY 2017.
- Awards grants to states to address substance abuse or to respond to urgent mental health needs.
- According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), repealing major provisions of Obamacare in the Senate amendment to H.R. 3762 would include $1.3 trillion in savings.
- The repeal of the Obamacare taxes and mandate penalties would cost $833 billion.
- Therefore, H.R. 3762 would reduce the deficit by $516 billion over the 2016-2025 period, including macroeconomic feedback.
Media Contact: Melissa Kelly