Olson Acts to Provide Our Military With Needed Resources
Washington, DC- Rep. Pete Olson (TX-22) today acted to support our military and provide them with the resources they need to protect and defend the homeland. Olson voted for H.R. 5515, the National Defense Authorization Act. The bill authorizes $717 billion in funding to improve military readiness and rebuild our military. It also continues the trend of improving pay for our troops with a 2.6% pay raise, the largest in nine years. The bill passed the House with a vote of 351-66 and now heads to the Senate for consideration.
“We ask a lot of our military men and women who risk everything to protect the homeland,” Rep. Olson said. “That’s why we owe it to them to pass a defense authorization bill that not only continues the proper trend of giving our troops well deserved pay hikes, but also makes investments in critical resources to support their missions, restore readiness and respond to threats overseas. As a Navy veteran, I’m proud to support our military and will do everything in my power to ensure they have the resources they need to keep America safe.”
Highlights of the NDAA
- Includes a 2.6% pay raise for our troops – the largest in 9 years
- Increases funding to rebuild our military and support readiness recovery
- Increases funding for training in each of the Services
- $18.6 billion to begin to rehabilitate and replace worn out equipment
- $39.5 billion to begin to overcome the crisis in military aviation by getting more aircraft in the air
- $36.0 billion to restore America’s strength at sea
- $23.3 billion to sustain, repair and rebuild crumbling military buildings and other infrastructure.
- Makes critical investments in missile defense
- Makes key investments in critical military capabilities to confront aggression and address threats around the world, including threats from Russia, China, North Korea and Iran
Media Contact: Melissa Kelly