Olson Acts to Restore Law and Order to Sanctuary Cities
Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX) today voted to restore law and order in almost 300 cities across America that have thwarted federal laws and provided safe havens for law breakers who entered the US illegally. Olson voted for H.R. 3009, the Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act, which cuts off specific federal grants for sanctuary cities that defy federal immigration law and threaten the safety of their communities. The bill passed the House by a vote of 241 - 179.
Sanctuary cities reached a tipping point after Kate Steinle, a San Francisco resident, was murdered last month by criminal alien Francisco Sanchez. He was here illegally, deported five times and identified by Immigration and Customs Enforcement as an 'enforcement priority,' but San Francisco, an admitted sanctuary city failed to comply with the request.
â€œSanctuary city policies risk our safety,â€ Rep. Pete Olson said. â€œThanks to a growing immigration crisis aided and abetted by a willing White House, these cities are providing a safe haven for dangerous criminal aliens, endangering the safety of law abiding citizens. These cities cannot continue to thwart federal law without consequences. San Franciscoâ€™s failure to report Sanchez to federal immigration authorities resulted in a preventable tragedy. Withholding federal funds from sanctuary cities is an important first step to getting criminals off our streets and restoring law and order. I will continue to push for stronger interior enforcement measures, secure our borders and keep our communities safe.â€
H.R. 3009 would add penalties by eliminating a violating state or localityâ€™s funding from three programs:
- the SCAAP program (State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, FY2015 - $185 million),
- the COPS program (Community Oriented Policing Services program, FY2015 - $208 million), and
- the Byrne-JAG program (Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program, FY2015 - $376 million).
Additional interior enforcement legislation Rep. Olson cosponsors:
- H.R.2942 â€“ Stop Catch and Release Act
- H.R.3011 â€“ Kateâ€™s Law
- H.R.2964 â€“ CLEAR Act
- H.R.3002 â€“ Mobilizing Against Sanctuary Cities Act
- H.R.1148 â€“ Michael Davis, Jr. in Honor of State and Local Law Enforcement Act
Media Contact: Melissa Kelly