Olson Response To So-Called "Green New Deal"
WASHINGTON, DC – Today Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX) issued the following statement in response to the so-called “Green New Deal” resolution introduced in Congress:
“Thanks to technological advancements made by the private sector, America has made important strides in improving air quality and reducing emissions. I am confident that technological advancements will continue to open up new solutions that ensure a stable supply of energy without crippling our economy or pricing consumers out of basic energy needs. This so called ‘Green New Deal’ seeks to fundamentally alter how Americans and businesses consume energy in ways that are unachievable and would cripple our economy. The fact that Speaker Nancy Pelosi who said, the ‘Green New Deal’ is nothing more than an absurd ‘green dream or whatever,’ and I are on a similar page should say something about how flawed it is. This unenforceable deal is a socialist’s dream and NOT a viable option for our transition to cleaner energy. My home state of Texas leads the entire nation in wind power production thanks to smart policies and a free market. Rather than tear down the basics of the American economy, I believe we can act thoughtfully to protect both our country’s prosperity and our environment.”
If implemented, the “Green New Deal” would:
- Seek to shift away from the use of air travel by Americans in favor of trains;
- Upgrade “all existing buildings” in the United States out of concern that existing ones are not efficient enough;
- Create a nationwide guarantee of government-approved jobs and benefits and dramatically strengthening the power of labor unions;
- Place dramatic new rules on manufacturing that controls and hurts the Texas economy, without clear considerations of cost; and
- End the use of power plants that provide over 60% of the power we use in this country, sites communities and homeowners have already invested in.
Media Contact: Cate Cullen